The Children's Department is located on the 1st floor across from the Circulation desk and serves children from birth through 5th grade.
Summer Reading is here!
Early registration begins on Monday, May 24, online through our Beanstack site.
View our Summer Reading Calendar for activities and more information!
The library is now open but with limited access and services. Please review our guidelines here. Here are some current services the Children's Department is providing for you:
- Virtual & Social-Distancing Programs: We will not have in-house programming and storytimes for the time being, but please check our online calender to see what virtual/social-distancing programs we are offering and how we are offering them! Please feel free to call or email us if you have any questions!
- Activity Bundles: We've now have Activity Bundles for check outs! Each bundle will come with a book and printable activity sheets. Keep the activity sheets and return the book! We'll have different themes each month! Bundles are designed for children PreK through 1st Grade. Email or call 439-5504 to request a bundle!
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten: North Shelby Library participates in the nationwide program, 1000 Books Before Kindergarten. It's never too early to read to your child(ren)! Early literacy is crucial for future success, and the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten provides an encouraging and paced challenge for young children and their families. To register for this program, go to our Beanstack site and sign up for an account and then register for the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- Tween Advisory Council: For ages 8-12! The NSL Children’s Department is forming a Tween Advisory Council so our tweens can help us develop programs that they want to have! Email the completed application to : https://www.northshelbylibrary.org/images/children/Tween_Leadership_Council.pdf.
- YouTube Channel: Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel! We upload fun content such as storytimes, craft ideas, book talks and more.